For over nine years, Delta Air Lines has supported the education mission of the Arts Branch of the YMCA: to enrich lives through education in the visual, literary, and performing arts. Our Y-Arts Scholars program ensures that financial need is not a barrier for talented youth seeking access to arts education opportunities. Y-Arts Scholars has provided approximately 300 scholarships annually to young artists, including such opportunities as
- The Young Authors Academy, our teen and tween creative writing program
- Numberless Dreams, our new online writing workshop for teens with disabilities
- Lessons in piano, voice, guitar, and violin at four area Y locations
- The Afterschool Arts Scholars program at Van Duyn Elementary School
- Our “After Summer School” afternoon arts program at McKinley-Brighton Elementary School
- Visual arts and dance classes at our branches in Baldwinsville and Fayetteville
These funds continue to support this vital arts education program for youth in our region, making it possible for children who demonstrate talent and enthusiasm for the arts to have the resources they need to learn, study and explore their creativity.
Delta’s support also contributes to the success of Power Scholars Academy and Y Achievers. Power Scholars Academy is a five-week summer learning program operated in partnership with BellXcel. Built on BellXcel’s evidence-based model, Power Scholars is designed to address summer learning loss for under-resourced scholars in grades 2-8. The program is offered within certain Syracuse city parks and students who participate in the five-week program exhibit average gains of 3+ months in both ELA and Math.
Y Achievers is an academic achievement/career development initiative to help middle and high school students set and pursue high educational and career goals, resulting in graduation and acceptance to an institution of higher learning and/or vocational/trade unions.
Each of these programs focus outreach in areas where poverty rates are among the highest in the nation. Delta’s support helps to make a real difference for families in our region who need it the most.